Immigration Process

A Canadian flag flying in front of a building

These resources will help you navigate the immigration and refugee system in Canada. Information about how to immigrate to Canada, sponsor a family member, obtain a permanent resident card, apply for citizenship, access services as a refugee or protected person can be found at:

Immigrants come to Canada through three immigration streams:

Economic Class

Individuals can immigrate to Canada through this stream by applying for Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Quebec Skilled Workers, Provincial Nominee Program, and Canadian Experience Class.

Family Reunification

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their spouse, dependents, parents or grandparents through this stream.


Canada resettles refugees from abroad through government-assisted or privately-sponsored refugees programs, in addition to protecting refugee claimants in the country.

To learn more about programs under each of the above immigration streams, eligibility requirements and application process, visit

The following are more resources about immigration and refugee process in Canada: 

  • For information about privately sponsoring a refugee from abroad, visit Refugee Sponsorship Training Program (RSTP)
  • To learn about how to make a refugee claim or file an appeal, visit Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB)
  • For information about refugee claim process, visit Hamilton Community Legal Clinic
  • Refugee Law Office, funded by Legal Aid Ontario, can help low-income people with refugee claims and other related issues
  • To book an appointment or contact the IRCC Office in Hamilton, go to the following address: 55 Bay St. North, Ground Floor (Market St. entrance), Hamilton ON L8R 3P7 (see map)
  • For all other information regarding immigration process, including applying for citizenship, permanent residence, sponsoring a family member or a dependent, visit