A family sitting together

Settlement organizations provide you with information and assistance while you adjust to a new life in Canada. They provide culturally sensitive services in several languages, including assistance in finding a place to live, learning English or French, finding employment, assessing educational and professional qualifications, referrals to other services such as legal help, connecting with the community, filling out forms and applications, and answering other general concerns related to immigration or settlement. 

Services offered to newcomers in Canada may have eligibility requirements that vary by  immigration status: 

  • Refugee Claimant: Individuals who live in Canada, but are waiting for a decision by the government to become protected persons or convention refugees.
  • Protected Person: Individuals who applied for refugee protection status while in Canada and were determined by Immigration and Refugees Board to have a well-founded refugee claim. 
  • Government-Assisted Refugee: Refugees who were resettled by the Government of Canada from abroad. These refugees have permanent resident status upon arrival in Canada. They are eligible for the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) as well as other services available for permanent residents. 
  • Privately Sponsored Refugee: Refugees who were resettled from abroad through private sponsorship. These individuals are financially supported by their private sponsors for one year. They become permanent residents upon arrival and are eligible for services available to permanent residents.
  • Permanent Resident: Individuals who have immigrated to Canada as economic class immigrants, sponsored family members or refugees who are not Canadian citizens yet, but hold permanent resident status. These immigrants are eligible for all settlement services funded by the Federal Government.  
  • Canadian Citizen: Individuals who were born in Canada, or permanent residents who have met all eligibility requirements and granted citizenship. Once a Canadian citizen, you may not be eligible for certain settlement services, so make sure you check eligibility requirements. 
  • Temporary resident: They include temporary foreign workers and international students, who are not eligible for federally-funded settlement services, but you may be able to access some services offered by organizations. Always make sure you check eligibility requirements for the service you need.

Make sure you check eligibility requirements for services you need.

Settlement Services Provider Organizations

Immigrants Working Centre

Settlement supports – employment services – English language classes – community connections

Who: Permanent residents, convention refugees/protected persons, refugee claimants (some services), Ukrainian newcomers

Addresses and Phone Numbers:

8 Main St. E., Unit 101, Hamilton – 905-529-5209
100 Main St. E., Units #210 and #250, Hamilton – 905-529-5209
1119 Fennell Ave. E. St., Units #234 and #236, Hamilton – 905-387-1100
160 Centennial Parkway N. Unit 7, Hamilton – 905-662-9160


Wesley – Newcomer Services

Resettlement and settlement supports – temporary accommodation – needs assessment and referrals – information and orientation services – community connections

Who: Government Assisted Refugees, Ukrainian newcomers

Address and Phone Number:

467 Main St. E., Hamilton


YMCA – Immigrant Settlement Services

Information and orientation – needs asset assessment & referral services – Bridge to Work Program in Childcare Industry – language assessment and referrals – school-based settlement support – professional mentorship matches – youth mentorship matches – Canada Connects social media matches – library-based English Conversation Groups – Newcomer Youth Centres – International Student Connect services

Language assessment at YMCA is the starting point for anyone wishing to access language classes.

Who: Permanent residents and convention refugees (eligible for all services), refugee claimants, naturalized Canadian citizens, international students and temporary foreign workers (eligible for some services), Ukrainian newcomers

Addresses and Phone Numbers:

25 Main Street West, Suite 105, Hamilton – 905-526-8452
211 Centennial Parkway North, Unit #1, Stoney Creek – 905-662-9400


YWCA – Immigration and Settlement Services (JOIN Program)

Employment counselling – networking – needs assessment and referrals – information – recreation – mentorship – community connections – 2SLGBTQIA+ youth support – supports for immigrant women – gender-based violence – educational, experiential and art-based workshops

Who: Permanent residents, protected person/convention refugee, a live-in caregiver with an approved work permit, Ukrainian newcomers (Must identify as a woman, girl, 2SLGBTQIA+ youth or non-binary)

Address and Phone Numbers:

75 MacNab Street South, Hamilton
905-522-9922, 365-324-0249, or 905-522-9922 ext. 335


Centre de santé communautaire Hamilton-Niagara

Information and referrals for Francophone newcomers – housing help supports – job search – education and training

Who: Francophone newcomers

Address and Phone Numbers:

1320 Barton Steet East, Hamilton
905-528-0163 or 1-866-437-7606